How to change YouTube Channel name – Gone are the days when YouTube users and creators have to maintain the same name across all their Google services. Now, creators are allowed to change their channel name without it affecting their Google name or account. In other words, YouTube creators can change the name of their channel and profile photo and the updates will only show on YouTube.
Luckily, the video platform allows you to change your channel name either from the YouTube studio on your computer or the mobile app from your mobile device. And just so you know, changing your channel name is very simple and easier than you ever think. Although, changing the channel name does not affect your Google name, be aware that it will remove the verification badge if you are verified, so you would have to reapply.
In this guide, we will teach the process of how to change the YouTube channel name without it affecting all other Google services or names. Follow this article to the very end to get enlightened on the name-changing process.
Changing YouTube Channel Name
Both YouTube creators with brand accounts and personal accounts can change their channel name without it affecting their Google account name. And just like I have mentioned above, these changes can be made from either the YouTube mobile app or studio on the desktop. Here are the steps to follow;
Change YouTube Channel Name on Desktop
Want to know how to change the name of your Channel on the computer? Follow the below steps carefully;
- Visit Youtube.com and sign in to your account, if needed.
- Click on your profile photo in the upper right corner and choose “Your channel” from the drop-down menu
- Tap on “Customize channel” from your channel page. this will take you to your channel dashboard in the studio
- When you get to the YouTube studio, choose “Basic info” from the upper navigation menu
- Now, click on the pencil icon that is next to your channel name, this will allow you to edit it
- Enter the name of your choice into the provided space
- Finally, click on the “Publish” button in the upper right corner.
YouTube has made it straightforward to make the switch using your desktop. Once you follow the above steps, your channel name will be changed after a few hours or days. And you will be able to go back to posting your videos.
How to Change the YouTube Channel Name on Mobile
In this section are the steps to change your channel name from your Mobile device. Follow carefully;
- Open your YouTube app on your iPhone or Android and login if prompted.
- Click on “Profile Picture”, which is located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Your Channel” from the drop-down menu
- Click “edit channel’’.
- Select the pencil icon next to your name
- From there, enter the name of your new channel
- Save the changes by clicking on the checkmark icon in the top right corner.
This same step applies to both Android and iPhone users. And keep in mind that it will take a few hours or days for the name to appear.
Note; changing your YouTube channel name on desktop or mobile won’t automatically change or update your YouTube URL. To make this change, you will have to have up to 100 subscribers or more. And your channel needs to be up to 30 days old. Also, it needs a banner image and profile picture. If meet these requirements, then you choose a custom URL based on recommendations from YouTube.
How to Change YouTube Channel on Desktop
YouTube let users set up a “Custom URL” for their channels. And this can be changed up to 3 times a year. It is custom because this platform allows users to choose from its selected recommended URL. However, the recommendation is based on the channel’s name because YouTube wants to prevent its users from having misdealing URLs.
To change your YouTube channel URL, sign in to YouTube studio, and choose “Customization” then “Basic info” from the left menu. Under the channel URL, now choose and click the link to set a custom URL for your YouTube channel.